Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Prepare to STOP

It is day 5 in my new little community. 9 walks with my faithful 'muttski'. 2 trips to the spa. 4 trips into town.


15 times down Qualicum Road; 15 times obeying the sign.


We are trained, taught and expected to come to a complete halt when we reach a sign that looks like this. 


It is advisable, strongly so, to look both ways before proceeding across the roadway, pathway or train tracks.


First to the right, then to the left and again to the right before crossing over and carrying on our way.


We stop because it is safe do so. It is expected. We do not have the right away. We are trained to. It is the law. 


One small sign can bring the biggest of vehicles to a standstill. The fastest of drivers screech to a halt. 


Even when no one is watching, we stop. When we believe to be all alone, we stop. When no one else is on the road, we stop.


Although I am a law abiding citizen; I have discovered it is difficult for me to stop at this particular sign, this intersection. I don't understand the 'why' of 'why do I have to'.


But then, really? How big of a surprise is it to read this about me?  I like to know 'why' in pretty much every aspect of my life.


Why do you like me?
Why am I loved by you?
Why did you hurt me?
Why did you say that?
Why are you acting that way?
Why was it built there?
Why can't you just fix it?
Why can't I say that?
Why wouldn't you like me?
Why can't you understand?
Why can't they see?
Why do you have more?
Why do you have less?
Why not just move on?
Why not love?
Why did he have to go?
Why does she have 'walls' around her?
Why does it work that way? 
Why not this way?
Why would you do that?
Why don't you communicate with me?
Why believe?
Why do you care?
Why do I care?
Why stop when I want to keep going?


Often time there are good, logical, wise answers to the many 'why's' in my head. Often times...there aren't any; there is no justifiable reasoning.


It is clear that at certain times in life I am not to ask why. I am to just do it! Just trust. Just believe. Just wait. Just S T O P.


Lately, I have been called to see the sign. To halt. To cease. To pause. To brake. To Stop.


Stop doing.
Stop fixing.
Stop making it all work.
Stop striving.
Stop fretting.
Stop worrying.
Stop stressing.
Stop asking.
Stop searching.


S  T O P


No matter the intersection. No matter the busyness. No matter the emptiness. 


S T O P


Even when it doesn't make sense. 


S T O P


The intersection I write about is 2 feet from the corner of Mant & Qualicum. The train tracks cross over Qualicum and run parallel with Mant.


The train ceased operation in April of this year. The train doesn't run on the tracks that cross over Qualicum. Nothing does.


But 15 times in the last 5 days; I have stopped where the white line on road says to S T O P, where the sign at the side of the road says S  T O P.  


I stop and look both ways before proceeding. I ask myself why I should.  I do it in obedience to the rules of the road. I do it because it is expected of me. I do it because I am a responsible driver. 


I do it because I am new here. I do it because every other vehicle does it too. I stop because I am told to.


I see this sign as a valuable and much needed command for my life, today. This week. This month. This year. I am being asked to simply stop.


S T O P


And slow down.
Pause.
Don't ask why.
Just obey.
Look.
Listen.
Stop until the sign is removed.
Stop until it is time to move, time to go.
Stop even when it doesn't make sense.
Stop. Trust. Wait.


S T O P


The time is nigh for rest and restoration for my heart, my soul, my spirit, my mind. 


Blessings be yours as you read & obey the signs set before you today ♥ LR

1 comment:

  1. AaaaH good lesson for most of us!! Is "stop" the same as "wait"?
    The Bible is filled with advice to "wait" and I guess it means the same as "stop"!
    so, as well as stopping I find I am often waiting. We wait all the time, wait for busses, wait for trains and planes, wait for spring, wait for summer, wait for payday, wait for evening, wait for the weekend, wait for Monday, wait for someone, wait for company, wait for alone time, wait, wait wait. I have discovered waiting is good just as stopping is good!! maybe we should practise doing it more often huh?
    Good insight, my Darlin' Daughter.
    "Wait on the Lord, be of good courage, He will strengthen your heart"
    Love You.

    ReplyDelete