Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Great Boots!

{Goodbye}


What a ridiculous word...today.


an oxymoron at times...like now.


When I looked 'Good' up in the dictionary, I was filled with positive, uplifting feelings.


With words like;


fresh, unspoiled, uncontaminated, valid, genuine, real, healthy, strong, vigorous, financially safe or sound, honourable, worthy, respectable, enjoyable, desirable, pleasant, happy, etc.


You can't help but feel...........um, well..........GOOD!


The word 'Bye' alone is just a word. A quick ending to conversation. A quick wave of the hand, a slight nod of the head, a small word that the dictionary says is only an abbreviation when used in context with departing. An abbreviation to the word on the butchers block today, {Goodbye}.


Today I don't see how you can mix the positive, happy feelings of 'good' with the smallness, yet final word of 'bye'.


Could we change it up a bit?  How about 'good buy'?  NOW that I like!  Both those words fill me with happy emotions!  I got a really 'good buy' on a fantastic pair of boots yesterday!  Seriously...really 'good buy'! How does that sentence NOT fill you with joy? Puts a smile on your face, doesn't it!

Nothing permanent about those words together; just stating a fact. The only way you can make it better is to change 'good' to 'great'!  A 'great buy' on great boots! Again happy, positive feelings come when you say those words together.


Unfortunately the meanings of 'good buy' and 'goodbye' don't even come close to similar...


However, there are times when 'goodbye' does evoke happy.


After a bitter encounter with a difficult neighbour. An unsolicited sales person on the phone. An exhausted end to a long wait for vehicle servicing. The passing of a slow moving vehicle. A visit of endurance with a difficult family member. The ecstatic ending of a life long career. The closure and healing of brokenness. The release of all that is negative & oppressive.


I get that when you say {Goodbye} you are wishing the other person a happy, positive leave. Today, for me, it is just too much emphasize on the 'leave' and not much truth in the 'good'.


I search my heart, my mind, my head
For peace within when 'good' is said


The fact remains, I can't help but cry
When 'good' is followed with the word 'bye'


Last night, this month, yesterday, Monday
Blessings were poured out in a wide array.


Today friends, renewed friends and young ones too
Came out to wish us both 'adieu'.


The hugs and cards, gifts and such,
The fact you came meant so very much!


There is no doubt that 'good' is great,
With our hearts entwined and blessed by fate.


{Goodbye} the dictionary wants us to see
is simply short for 'God be with ye'!


When God is brought to the close of day,
& His blessings poured as we move away,


How can I not find the peace I seek
when changes cascade at the end of my week.


And so today I won't say {Goodbye}
Only "God be with ye". I have had my cry.


Blessings be yours as we part at this time,
thankful, so thankful for hearts entwined!


Love and blessings to you today; from my ♥ to your ♥  LR

No comments:

Post a Comment