Monday, August 15, 2011

I Meant to do that....

I didn't realize I had a bucket list until yesterday.

One of mine and hubby's favorite hobbies in the summer is strolling around Farmers Markets.

We go for our weeks worth of fruit and veggies. And most times we buy ourselves a wee treat.

Yesterday for me was a dozen potato and cheddar perogies from the Ukrainian Lady's trailer. I prefer the cottage cheese but they were sold out. Two hours into the 4 hour market and they were already gone. It didn't really matter as I had my heart (read stomach!) set on perogies and I wasn't going home without them.

I admit to wishing I still ate meat at every turn as I drooled longingly at the farmers sausage that was being sold a few booths down. But NO! I had to hold on to some sense of discipline and the sausage was easier to walk away from as it has been quite a few years now that I stopped eating pork.  ....but still; the temptation reared it's smell in my face! 

My husband doesn't fully understand the giving in to temptation. He gets tempted, don't get me wrong on that!  But he is one of the most disciplined humans I have met and he just simply (more times than not) does not give in to the scents, sights and emotions of living in the moment.

And for me? The moment is meant for the living and I better take it all in before the next moment arrives and I find myself staring down another tantalizing treat!

Thankfully I am getting older, wiser & slower! I have learned that living in the moment without concern for consequences still brings about the consequences of each decision. It is becoming less and less of a temptation when I consider the after effects of my actions.

But back to the bucket list I didn't know I had.....

Here we are strolling through the market. My man walking down the middle anticipating my turns and stops. Me off to one side looking for my new favorite soap. Lilac soap; made all natural with the most delightful soft scent. Makes my skin all soft and sweet smelling. Makes me feel good about what it is I put on my body. And although I wouldn't...It is nice to know that I could eat it if I wanted to! Nothing on the body that you wouldn't put in your mouth; that is a hard and fast rule I strive to practice in my daily care of self.

I glance over my left shoulder to see if I can catch a glimpse of my man. He is there and has just stopped to talk to another avid market goer.  He signals me over and introduces me to the gentleman he is talking with.

I don't talk as eloquently as I write at the best of times. I like to be prepared. I like to consider the source and the audience. I like to anticipate the possible scenarios and prepare for them. When the situation is perfect according to me than I don't roll it around in my head for hours, days and sometimes weeks later. Wondering what the heck I was thinking as I said what I said. Wishing I could go back and start over. Praying for do-over!  What more can I say here? I don't like to be caught off guard...it is that simple.

At the instant that I was introduced to this fellow Marketer, I knew I was in trouble. What do you say to someone you have wanted to meet; hoped to meet and desired to shake hands with (okay...I really wanted to hug him and I so wish I could have had my picture taken with him!) for the last 15 years? 

I didn't do too badly with my words. I know I didn't, because I slept last night instead of playing the scene over and over and over again in my head! It was an honor to meet the man. I was able to tell him that he has been my hero since before he was who he now was. It conjured up warm memories of days long gone and a life no longer lived.

We walked away from that chance encounter with smiles on our faces, tears in our eyes and love over-flowing from our hearts.

It was then I realized. I had a bucket list. Who knew? Who cared enough about every little desire, every tiny dream, every hopeful thought?  As we walked away God whispered to my wounded, broken, taped up and mended heart.... ♪ I meant to do that ♫  And I truly felt that He had given us, once again, the go ahead to leave our Alberta home. He showed me the list I had unknowingly made. He crossed off the final dream of my Alberta Bucket List and showed me a new page ready for an updated list of dreams, desires, adventures and new beginnings.

It never ceases to amaze how God cares for me at every turn and stop when I allow Him to walk freely down the middle of  this most unpredictable, unrehearsed adventure called life!

Blessings to you today as you ponder your own bucket list. May I encourage you to hand it over to God and let Him cross off each item listed?  I believe He has your best interest, dreams and desires in His heart ♥ LR

I have hyperlinked the song 'I meant to do that' by Paul Brandt for you to listen to. This song was written by Paul when he was still a nurse at the Calgary Children's Hospital and had a life changing encounter with a young girl who had cystic fibrosis. Aimeelee passed away far too young from the disease, shortly after the song was written.

http://youtu.be/2TyGR61Kk2g

3 comments:

  1. I don't know about outher folks,but this blog brings tears to me more often than not! And just a side note honey; he really is a kind and sincere man is'nt he:-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm maybe I should start going to Farmer's Markets...

    Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart's desires Psalm 37:4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooooo exciting, I have to admit, I'm envious....but at the same time happy for your experience!!!
    God IS good and he does care about our desires and dreams! Love it!

    ReplyDelete