Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My little blue monkey

I have a confession.

My mind is everywhere but on my writing this morning.

I am quite anxious today.  Actually very anxious. OK! Truth is my stomach is in knots and I can't think about any one thing for more than a minute! 

My day to day existence over the last 10 days has been spent packing up 32 years of life.

And not just packing. It is the sorting and decision making that goes with it. Deciding what to keep, what to throw away, what to give away and what to sell in our moving sale.

Each item has a story. Each story a memory. And, although I will always have the memories it is still hard to let the item go.

Who knew a small, hard plastic monkey could evoke such emotion? 

I'm telling you, this monkey is the size of a tooney!  It was a decorative item on a drink that I had 9 years ago! And yet it was huge enough to stop me in my tracks and cry today.
The occasion for the drink? I had just received my High School Diploma....at 40! Our family of five went to the Spaghetti Factory, down town Calgary to celebrate.  Some of the tears were of joy as I thought about that accomplishment in my life; I was so proud of myself for my hard work and determination. Some of the tears were of grief. Oh how the family dynamics have changed since then. 

 
I allowed the memories to wash over me, along with the tears. Then I made the decision to keep or toss the little blue monkey with the long tail.

The drawers, the cupboards, the boxes. Most has been sorted. Most is out in the garage for our sale today, this week.

 
Today starts the process of saying goodbye to many treasures, too much stuff and items we don't use enough,
It's been layed out for all to see, to sort through, questioned and bargained for; as we watch it leave through our door.
Each time another 'treasure' is passed from us to them, the memory is embedded deep in our cerebrum.
Our chant within our heads filters down towards our heart; Go ahead and sell it...it is time for a new start.

Cherished memories, friends, times, and years; Thank God it is okay to cry oceans of tears.
Alberta born, Calgary raised, prairie tough and wintered out; The roots are deep and ever here, for that there is no doubt.
But time for change and new adventures has been sent from up above; God designed, laid it out and blessed it with His love.
Obedience is new for me; yes it's really true! But each step I take, He strengthens me and blesses me a new!

 No longer do I trust in self but take my cue from Him, I've released control to do it better and watched the struggle dim,
The sorrow, stress, grief and pain and yes the anxiety too; I give it all away today and the worries become few.
He cares for me, He walks beside and catches me when I fall; He breathes in peace and comforts with His plan to sell it all!
Some treasures I have stored, on earth it is a fact; But I think God's okay with the little blue monkey on my back!

Will you please pray for us today? Will you pray for us this week? Will you stop by and encourage us with a smile or a hug. Perhaps one of our laid out treasures will catch your heart and become a memory for you!

Thank you dearest friends for visiting me here again today. I am once again humbled and honoured by your kind, supportive and encouraging words as I lay out my heart for all to see!

Bless you today as you think about the special treasures you have stored on earth and the greater, eternal treasures you are preparing for heaven ♥ LR



4 comments:

  1. I remember that day!
    Kayls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dear Robyn,

    I feel the same way about some seemingly small items too... funny how we women can get so attached to "stuff" sometimes.... I can hardly wait to read about what God has in store for the next part of your journey...

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know its only "stuff" but oh how it congers up memories, happy and not so happy and, yes, it is difficult to part with many "things" and yet we know they are just things even if wach one has an attachment to a thread of emotion!! What you are doing takes a special measure of grace and mercy and strength taht we do not have within ourselves....only with God can we succeed in what we perceive as "big"!!!Hopefully the day got better!!!!!! You are loved, deeply!

    ReplyDelete