Thursday, August 4, 2011

Joy in the Journey

Oh Lord, once again I am forgetting to find joy in the journey!

The stress and emotions of packing, sorting, tossing, selling and storing!

I am complaining again!

I am wanting the end result and don't want to work to get there!

There are so many journey's in life....

School ~ How many of us just want the diploma at the end? The getting there (the actual school work!) isn't fun for most of us. Who wakes up in the morning and says "Yes! I get to take a calculus test today!"? We just want the passing grade at the end. We just want to graduate.

Wedding day ~ Oh the work involved to get to that day!! oye vay! The stress, the worry, the planning, the tears, the frustration, the anger, the indecisiveness, the choices and the choosing, the lists, the family dynamics.... How often do we forget to find JOY in this journey?  We just want the perfect day to be here; we want the perfect end result!

Birth of a baby ~ How many months, days, hours do we agonize over our pregnancy. The discomfort, the concern, the health of both mom & baby, the weight, the perfect baby's room, the naming, the hormones, the moods, the misunderstandings between mom & dad, the finances, the lifestyle changes, the tears. And if it is the first baby; the fear.  The last month or so are the worst; we don't want to be pregnant any longer! We want the Joy of holding our new born.

Raising kids ~ Every stage has it's challenges. Can't wait until they can crawl, walk, talk. Can't wait until the 'terrible two's' are over. Can't wait for them to be in school. Can't wait for summer to start. Can't wait for summer to end. Can't wait to go on holidays. Can't wait to get home from holidays. Can't wait for them to be independant. Can't wait till they can drive themselves. Can't wait till they get their own car. Can't wait for graduation. Can't wait for graduation stress to be over. Can't wait for college. Can't wait to be done college. Can't wait until the college education is paid for. Can't wait till they have a decent job. Can't wait until they move out. Can't wait for them to come visit. Can't wait for them to call.....So wish my kids were young again!  Is there joy in your parenting journey?

Time ~ in just a minute. In a bit. In an hour. Tonight. Tomorrow. In a couple of days. In a week. On Friday. After the weekend. On the weekend. Next week. Next month. In 6 months. Next year. When your older. When I was younger. When you grow up.

Money ~ When I win the lottery. When I get paid. With the inheritance after she is gone. When the bonus is given. When I get a raise. When I get a better job. When the credit card comes in the mail. When he pays me back. When I strike it rich. When I find the gold.

Food ~ When the ground is tilled. After the seeds are planted. As soon as I pick it from the garden. After I get groceries. After it's washed. When I get it peeled. After it's cut up. When it's cooked. When its dished out. Once I put it on the table. When you are done. After you clear your plate. When the dishes are washed. After the dishes are done. In the morning at breakfast. Wait until tomorrows lunch. When we go for dinner on friday. When someone else cooks it.

Travel ~ Are we there yet? How long? how much further? After we stop. When we get going. Once we arrive. After we get gas. When you get a car. Once you are on the plane. When you get off. After we eat.  When we are done. When you get here.

Life ~ Once I'm done school. When I get a good job. When I get married. Once I have children. When the kids are older. When the kids move out. When I am a gramma. When I get healthy. When I loose weight. When I retire. After retirement.  When I am too old to live on my own. After they move me to the 'other' wing. Once I am gone....

At the other end of whatever you are living right now, will you say you found joy in the journey? Or did you just wish your life away? Did you live in the moment through every stage? Are you living in the moment today? Enjoy this second and everything that it brings. There is something, there is always something to be positive about, to find joy in!

I need to remind myself today; this moment, that there is joy to be found in this journey. Yes, the end result will be amazing, but then it too will become a journey. Will I find Joy then?

What Joy can you savour right now, this moment, this day?

Blessings be poured upon you as you find the joy in your journey....Today! ♥ LR

4 comments:

  1. Find and hang on to the Joy, it is always there but sometimes it hides under a rock or behind a tree!!
    "Wait on the Lord, be of good courage, He will strengthen your heart"
    To wait and be content is a treasure and treasures are not often dropped into your hand, they require waiting and sometimes searching...but they are there and it seems as if yo have found the secret of finding joy in your goal to let God!!!
    Very encouraging writing, beautiful Daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robyn!
    I needed this reminder today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also needed to be reminded of this this morning. As I woke to the sounds of my beautiful daughters yelling and fighting, and thought of my "to do" lists and laundry and chores and life, I sooo needed this reminder! I pray your words today bless others as much as they have me.

    Love you!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Robyn! I needed to read this today....I am often so there! Wishing for the next thing, the next day, the next break, the next weekend, the next book, the next..., the next..., the next......

    I am loving your blog! Keep writing! I'll be buying your book for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete