Friday, January 6, 2012

Home sweet Home

We have been in our new digs for just over 4 months now. Yesterday as we were cleaning our little abode I was struck with the gut wrenching, heart breaking moment of not being home.


Every box we brought with us has been unpacked and there is a space for everything we own. There was debate this would be possible when My Man arrived with ALL our belongings mid september. I thought we had sold pretty much everything we owned. And then...he opened up the door to the big truck. OY!  Really? We kept all that? Surely you collected stuff on your trip over here! But, alas...Nope! It was all the treasures I couldn't part with when we started our down-size to a simpler life.


Unloading the truck was both a treat and a trek! We took our time...3 days to be exact! And did what every redneck does...got'er done!!


It was so wonderful to have my lovely red dishes that a dear friend had given me as an early christmas present. I unpacked each with joy in my heart and a smile on my face as I pictured her at my side helping me.


My cherished china that I have the privilege of calling mine. I have 4 different sets. YES, 4! Each set has a story. Each story has a special place in my heart. As I Unwrapped each piece I was taken to another place and time, with a very special someone from my life now past. I was oh so very glad that the China made it safely, nothing broken and found it's home once again in my china chest.


The picture chest. AHHHH the delightful chest that weighs 300lbs (or something close to that!), full of memories from my childhood, my wedding, the births and lives of my three wonderful sons and a cumulative 26 years of school keepsakes! The chest itself earned its own right as a 'keeper', it was custom made with such love by the hands of a dear, dear great uncle of mine, Peter Vogt. The delightful memories of so many years passed had arrived in my world again!


It isn't just what the chest holds or the history of it. It is also what took place each time it was opened over the years. With my boys at my side, how many times we went through that wooden crate. Their wonderful questions, the relayed stories and our family memories shared those days are absolutely priceless. And then of course the times we went through it with a girlfriend or two. Because of these memories....I cherish each time I must now go through it alone. 


Memories. Blessed. Sweet. Precious. Wonderful. Bittersweet.


I was happy to have my red electric kettle, the toaster oven, wine glasses, utensils, a garbage can, wall pictures, the couches and my Mexican furniture. Bringing it all in and unpacking felt somewhat like Christmas. Fitting it in was a different story.


We did it. Then I reorganized. Then we shifted. Then we got rid of a couple of items we really did not need. Then I re-arranged. Then we replaced some of the things we got rid of in Alberta and reorganized again. Until finally...I could look around and say 'Well done'! On occasion, I have missed some of the 'stuff' we let go of in Alberta...but then I remind myself; it is just 'stuff'. The memories are held deep in my heart for all time.


Cue yesterday and our cleaning house. It is not the first time we have cleaned our borrowed home...not by any means! But it the first time I needed the counter stool that had been tucked in the corner of the master bedroom. I needed it cleared off of its contents. The contents that had been laid to rest since October! The items I didn't touch, dust, adjust or cover up. 


Now remember, I said all the boxes were unpacked? Everything had a place and everything was in its place? Well...mostly that was true. Except for this one stack of untouchables. This one stack that would finalize our move from Alberta to British Columbia. These few items that would push me that one final step to a new lifestyle, new beginnings, new adventures. Putting these few articles where they belonged would make our new little abode home. ....right?

If home is where the heart is
than my home must be with you
For wherever you reside, I want to be there too.


I want to be in your presence
no matter what it costs
I would give it all up, even though the price is lots!


There is just one wee problem
that prevents the follow through
It's that my heart is torn in pieces, at least three or two.


And so I must remember now
the heart that named me mom
must learn to let you fly and soar, To each that I call Son


And now dear readers (I want to call you 'droplets'!)  do you know what the last remaining items were, Waiting to be placed in their 'permanent' home? The stack of untouchables that caused so much heart ache, tears and a huge sense of not letting go? 


....Pictures of my children. Cherished, framed, lovely, precious, adorable and down right good looking pics of my three handsome, wonderful and dearly missed boys. The pictures that I had actually arranged on the floor in front of the wall they were to be hung. They were to be in our bedroom, greeting me as I rose each morning and looking on for our good night wishes at the end of each day. I didn't realize it then...but I completely understand it now. I stacked those pictures away that day in October because I was tired and told myself I would hang them tomorrow. Tomorrow never came. Well, actually many tomorrows did come! Just not the Tomorrow that saw the pictures in their new home. 


Maybe now. Now with new understanding, new realization and new strength. Now is the time to let them go just a wee bit more and accept the miles between us. Now is the time to embrace the change that has come! Now is the time to say 'Welcome Home' dear heart.


Will you please do me a favour and ask me next week how the pictures on my bedroom wall look. Hopefully I will be able to say 'absolutely wonderful'!


Blessings to you as you cherish the home where your heart resides ♥ LR


A house is built with boards and beams; a home is built with love and dreams

3 comments:

  1. Love your writing, brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for sharing your journey encouraging me along the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would happily be a droplet : ) I am so enjoying reading your words again. Hugs - the really tight kind, the ones that remind you that at that moment you are the only person the hugger is thinking of - to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah! Again....I see good stepping from your inner most being! Your words echo many familiar feelings and I can totally understand the "pile" of untouchables!! Good for you, letting go is the hardest thing to do but if you can do it, the freedom is exhilerating! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete